Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Back on the Bottle

After several weeks of blogging apathy, followed by a very nasty cold virus, I have finally had a bit of wine this past week. I opened a bottle of Grüner Veltliner which is and Austrian white that I have yet to find outside of Ontario liquor stores in Canada - not that I have looked that hard. I got it through a friend who is a member of the Opimian Society and has access to several interesting offerings a year. This Grüner Veltliner is lighter than I expected, but nice and fresh, not really fruity, but I don't detect that white pepper taste that I was anticipating. Regardless, it is tasty and I think I will enjoy each of the three bottles I got over the next few months. I think it cost me about $24/bottle, maybe less. I can't remember, but it is good quality and I don't regret the purchase. I also had a Verdicchio from the same offering. Very nice, fresh, mildly fruity and light. Too bad the Whitehorse liquor store rarely carries whites of this quality.

Last night I had a glass of one of the house reds a a local restaurant. Tocornal Merlot. Pretty good for what it is. Better that the stuff in a box, and presumably quite inexpensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home