Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ontario Riesling now available in BC

I have recently become aware that BC liquor stores are selling Cave Spring Reserve (now called 'Estate Bottled' or something) Reisling. This is possibly my favourite Ontario Wine. At the winery and LCBO it retails for about $17-18. Herein likes the problem with it in BC. $25. It really is a beautiful, fresh wine, not so much light, but definitely refreshing. But...I don't think I want to pay that much for refreshment. I start getting less enthusiastic when whites creep over the $20 mark. Not because there aren't great white wines, but I just don't enjoy them as much as a good quality red. The possible exception being my love affair with Sancerre. But even that I would drink a lot more of if it was $20 rather than $30. Refreshing whites are more like fancy juice. They are not so much an experience as they are a compliment to food or company. There are lighter and cheaper reds I would also put into that category. Then there are the nicer, usually heavier and pricier reds that are an experience in themselves. I've never found them to need food, and can sink into a glass and just appreciate the sensory pleasures. This is when it is fun to be around other wine geeks, because you can talk about all the lovely things that are creeping around in your glass, without the odd looks you get from normal people. I miss that. Anyways, I am willing to pay good money for that sort of experience, but not so much for refreshment. A glass of limeade is cheaper. Not to put down the loveliness and quality of the Cave Spring Riesling, it is really fabulous, I just don't want to pay an extra $7 for a bottle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home