Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

CHEAP WINE ALERT (in a good way)

A few weeks ago, during one of my YLC wine restocking missions, I picked up a bottle of Hardy's Voyage Cabernet Sauvignon/Petit Verdot/Ruby Cabernet. It was so cheap ($9.65), that I figured even if it was a bad as I feared, it wasn't a huge loss, and who knows, it could be okay. I was also sold on the inclusion of Petit Verdot, which is not so common on a label. I am delighted to report that the wine is really rather pleasant, and for $9.65 I am totally sold. It ain't classy by any means, but this would be a great option for any casual gathering, or if you had to provide a lot of wine and didn't want to re-mortgage your house (also for large quantity needs I think I would recommend the Lindemans Shiraz Cabernet 1500mL bottle for $22.80 or the Lindemans Cawarra Shiraz Cabernet 750mL for $11.85 - good for the price). And because I am still bitter about my Yellow Tail experiences, I have to add that this kicks ass over Yellow Tail (although the personified version of that fight would only appear on weird satellite channels at 3am and probably involve little school girl outfits and hair pulling). Conclusion: you can do better for more money, but if you want cheap and drinkability, this is your bottle. I have a white from the same line in the basement; I will try it in the near future.

Another note, as I was trolling through the YLC price list to find the price for the Hardy's wine, I noticed the Coyam Vinedos Organic Emiliana from Chile which I don't know if I have mentioned before. It is $26.55 and I think one of the best wines in the liquor store. It is very concentrated, with dark fruits, leather, earthiness and spice. I bought four bottles a few months ago (after having received one as a Christmas gift) and have enjoyed every one. It is very good value for the money. Not something to drink every day, and not for lighter fare, but really a quality wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home