Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Ontario can make really nice reds

I was feeling in need of a good TGIF wine, and had a bottle of Lakeview Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve waiting on the counter that I had dragged out of the basement last week along with a not so great Chardonnay (I'll get to that). It probably wasn't a cheap bottle, but I'd be willing to pay up to $30 for it as the contents were really very good. A little tannic - okay, very tannic - but good flavour, and a nice example of Cabernet Suavignon. My internet search for Lakeview Cellars tells me that they are known for their Bordeaux style reds, and I would have to agree. Not too fruity at all, and lots of body. I wouldn't say it has mindblowing complexity and finesse, but it's a good effort and quality wine. Too bad their website blows, I am trying to find the price to determine if it is a good deal... Hey! $21.95 at the winery; that's an awesome price for this.

As for the Ridgepoint Barrel Fermented Chardonnay - I think I mentioned it last post as not being that great, but it might have been the food. It wasn't the food. The wine is not awful, but it has lots of oak and not a lot else, and a bit of a cheap white, slightly floral taste that is unappealing. Too bad, I have liked some of Ridgepoint's other wines, and I liked the folks at the winery when I visited a couple of years ago. They make a Nebbiolo that I have in the basement waiting for me to open it. Perhaps I should give it a try today... don't want it to get too old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home