Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Church Mouse Syrah

Meh. Tastes like cheapish Canadian Shiraz. Which is what it is. This one is from BC so I would have expected it to be riper. It tastes a lot like the Calona Vineyards Artist Series Shiraz. However, that one is under $14 at the winery and this one is $18 from the Yukon Liquor Corp. For $14 I like it, for $18 I expect a little more. It has a lot of flavour, it is just a little raw and cold climatey. Ontario Shiraz tends to taste this way, overtones of greeniosity and coffee. Not in a good way coffee. Verdict: drinkable, but too expensive. The YLC carried a Mission Hill Reserve Shiraz last year for $22. It was worth every penny. Oh how I wish they would bring back that, as well as the Mission Hill 5 Vineyards series. I didn't like the Pinot Noir, but the Merlot and the Cab/Merlot were very good for the price, and a really nice example of tasty and affordable Canadian wine. I think the Chardonnay was also nice. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home