I give up!
I give up trying to be nice about Yellow Tail. I have been going with the "if you like it and it's tasty then it is fine" line. Yes it is sometimes pleasing in a Twinkies and Pringles kind of way. But it is not good. Not at all. It is to wine what McDonalds salads are to spa cuisine (*disclaimer: I have not eaten a McDonalds salad in probably 15 years, but am under the impression from advertising that they involve deep fried chicken strips). I speak from personal experience (about the wine, not the salads). I was in need of liquid refreshment at my current house sit, and thus went to steal a bottle of wine from their collection, selecting one that I figured would be easily replaceable. Although I had not heard of Yellow Tail Reserve (about as believable as if Kool Aid came out with a fresh-squeezed line) I figured it was probably in the liquor store and I could replace the bottle no problem. True. For $20! Reserve my ass. It is better than the usual Yellow Tail, but $20! It is just not that good. Not any good. It is a travesty that this substance is passed off as wine. That is like watching a cheap porn flick, or anything staring Steven Seagal, in place of genuine quality cinema. Plah! I felt dirty having drunk it (or perhaps it was a hang over). That was last weekend and the half of the bottle that I couldn't drink in the past week (I tried another glass last night and it tasted like scotch mixed with cherries, awful) is now marinating a steak. It is a cheap steak, so if it is ruined I am only out a few dollars. Okay, okay, in all honesty that was my second bottle of Yellow Tail Reserve. I replaced the first one, and then late found myself again in need of liquid refreshment and thought it would do. I repent, bad idea, shame is mine!
Well, got that off my chest. In future, I pledge to avoid all Yellow Tail - which will probably last until I am next at a dinner party and someone inevitably brings a bottle of Yellow Tail. It isn't even that cheap and you can do so much better for the same price! Argh!

2 Comments:
I totally agree! Yellow Tail is icky. Bleh.
I tried some Gehringer "Desert Sun" last night. Meh. Not bad. Not great either. Good in cooking though.
Yellow Tail 'Bubbles' - extremely horrid.
It was a gift; I didn't buy it! I do admit to curiosity when I saw it at the liquor store, but my reservations at buying it were well founded. Really bad, if you want cheap bubbles get some Freixenet or Henkell Trocken. I don't like them much either, but I don't seem to be a bubbly fan, and they are at least drinkable.
Post a Comment
<< Home