Finally - a good Riesling availably locally!
Stoneleigh, 2007 Riesling from New Zealand. Dry, pleasantly fruity but not too much. Zesty. Fresh. Tasty. Good weight to it for a fresh white. Maybe as good as the Ontario ones I have gushed about. I think it cost about $22 which I am willing to pay for something this good. Now the question is whether it will remain available at the local liquor haus. I got three of the last few bottles (that could indicate to the buyers that people like it and they should try to get some more, but you never know). I like the Stoneleigh Sauv Blanc, and this Riesling is great too. Happy!

3 Comments:
I've been reading some "other blogs" and it seems that perhaps your content needs to become more inflammatory, so there can be long discourse about whether I'm right or you're right, where it's not really a right answer type of argument. So, in the interests of being argumentative, I'm going to rant about dealcoholized wine. Seriously shitty stuff. If you are ever trapped on a desert island and you have only a bottle of dealcoholized wine and a Gala Keg, all you have to do to turn the Gala Keg into a dreamy, fruity, passionate glass of joy is to take a heavy swig of the no-alcohol crap and then Mr. Gala will taste like heaven. Which brings me to my question: why does no-alcohol wine taste sooo bad? Is it not possible to take out the 13%, without losing the soul? Which brings me to my next question: if a person used good product in the first place, would that improve upon the final result, or is all dealcoholized wine doomed to taste like poo?
OK, well, this didn't work in the argumentative front. I guess we aren't the ranting sorts. Ah well. On a plus note, I received an exciting package from the Masons - er the opimium society, I mean - the other day. I must say there is a vague feeling that I ought to have a ring, and a secret handshake. But maybe that comes later, after I have accepted some of their Offerings...???
Sometimes it's better to just abstain. I don't know what process they use to remove the alcohol, but it probably destroys or negatively alters many of the flavour compounds, or else maybe they have to do something with chemicals that probably isn't nice. Blech.
And since this comment is attached to my Riesling post...I have decided the NZ Riesling isn't quite as good as the Ontario ones I have mentioned before, but it is still really good.
I do hope there is a great deal of booze left at the ancestral residence when I arrive. I don't care if it's Reisling or Sauv Blanc or merlot or port or whatever. Oh, and I'm taking likker orders now, so lemme know what you want brung up.
Post a Comment
<< Home