Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Reviews from a hopeful contributer

Anna has faithfully filled the role of guest contributer again.


I don't know much about Chinese Democracy - and nor do the Chinese, or GnR, for that matter, but I do know it's a damn shame that lots of the really good wines from the Rotary Wine tasting contest are gone from the likker haus, and we are stuck with way too many kinda crappy Australian and overpriced and kinda crappy French wines, instead. I had my own wine tasting contest, over the past few weeks, and some of the best ones were these Italian wines - like a Sangiovese from di Mattoro (or something like that) and there was a super-cheap but totally drinkable Italian one called Monto Alto - or something like that - it doesn't matter what they were called, if they are never coming back, which was kind of the vibe I got from the liquor store manager dude. My guess is they're going to bring in some of the cute name but shitty wine ones, like the Chat en Oeuf (i.e. there's a kitty sitting on an egg on the label but it is thin and nasty stuff), rather than the truly yummy ones without a too uppity price tag. for example, they brought in all this insane wine from the Two HAnds people in AUS - good stuff, but c'mon - $79.00? Wouldn't we be better served by some quality $20.00 zinfandel? They already have $36.00 Two Hands reds. Two more types at twice that price, all from the same winery seems like bad judgment - it's good, but I think that for $79 we could get other types of wine.

OK, I'm done ranting. I did splurge on a $26 bottle of Artizen Zinfandel. Yum. But the Sebastiani was better, and cheaper.

That's all.I think I deserve to be an actual contributor now, rather than just a commenter.
AP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home