Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

News Flash - Yellowtail Sucks!!!

IT WAS A GIFT!!! I didn't buy it myself, having learned my lesson the last time. This one was the Yellowtail Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. I had about half a glass, and now my stomach burns (this is due to an existing medical problem - can't blame it on the lousy wine) and I am waiting to see if I end up having to lie down for the evening with wretchedly awful stomach cramps. Regardless of the stomach issues, the wine is not nice. It is very strong tasting, a little too black cherry-ish, a little too much oak. It tastes like a person who has only read about wine and never tasted it made it. Just wrong. I attempted an appropriate pairing with the culinary delicacy known as "hot dogs". Still tasted bad.

Anyone want 7/8ths of a bottle of plonk?

I do have one exciting discovery to mention: darker beer and vanilla ice cream. I accidentally discovered this because I had a little Arctic Red amber ale left from dinner when we had already started dessert - Vanilla Haagen Daaz. I am shocked at how well they compliment each other - never would have guessed.

2 Comments:

At Mon Sep 22, 02:26:00 p.m. PDT, Blogger Anna said...

Special Correspondent Anna, reporting from the trenches...

So I bought some Grenache (or Garnacha, as they say in Spain) called El Burro. It was about 16.95, at the local likker haus. Anyway, Rachel tried to steal it as part of her birthday gift, and I was going through a selfish phase, on account of how it had a donkey on it, and I like saying "doonkey". But now how I regret my selfish ways, as this wine is ass. Not tasty, even with moose parmigiana and risotto. Even gala keg tastes good with that dinner.

Two thumbs down for the rude spanish wine.

 
At Tue Oct 21, 11:00:00 a.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally an honest ACCURATE description of Yellowtail.

Unpleasant, inconsistent, not nice even if it's the 3rd or 4th bottle opened...even if it's opened when you're camping...

Not nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home