Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Fetzer Merlot and Chinese Wine

I tried to look up the price of the Fetzer Merlot I am drinking at the moment. It isn't bad, but it isn't good either, so if it was cheap I was going to give it a conditional thumbs up (i.e. this is cheap but better than box wine or U-Brew). However, I can't find it on the YLC price list so I guess it has been discontinued. Lightish red, not very full, but somewhat pleasantly fruity. Might compliment food. No longer available, so never mind.

I did see on the price list the Chinese wine Great Wall Cabernet Sauvignon ($14.80). I recall having it this summer because we were curious as to what Chinese wine would taste like. I recall that it did actually taste like it was Cabernet Sauvignon, and for $12 it wouldn't have been that bad. But for close to $15 you can do so much better with something from Australia or Chile, and this really doesn't compare favourably. This is the second wine I have had from China (having had one several years ago in Ontario and not been impressed), so I am 0 for 2. There could be good things coming out of China in the future, but I think it will be a while and I doubt we will see them here.

1 Comments:

At Sun Nov 16, 01:48:00 p.m. PST, Blogger Anna said...

Rather than hurting yourself with terrible ideas like Chinese wine, I have to recommend you go out and buy up the last of the Sebastiani Zinfandel at the Likker Haus. It was a Rotary Wine Tasting Contest Wine, and it is super-fun. So far I have had it alone (verynice - full without being heavy); with fig chevre (sweet cheese and wine, you ask? why yes indeedy - and some CSI Miami on the side. Yum). and then I tried it with some chateaubriand moose steak and risotto. Hell yeah, I say. It's a really nice wine. Probably I shouldn't like it that much, since it's like $23.95, but it's getting so most wines that are worth drinking are about $18 at the liquor store, so it's possible I've just upped my price point to a bad level. Oh well, it's winter. I'm cold, and wine is good.
AP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home