Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Waiting is the hard part.

I am sipping the remainder of the last bottle of a Spanish red I got through the Opimian Society. So good that I recall feeling a bit rough on Wednesday because I downed half the bottle on Tuesday evening. The remaining half bottle is still quite drinkable a few days later (with the help of one of those sucker pumps to take out some of the air). Alas, I have one bottle of the Portuguese wine left, and a few whites, and then I am out of Opimian wines until I get the shipment in from the last offering, which will probably arrive at the end or March at the earliest. Sigh, Whitehorse liquor store, I will have to enter your unattractive space yet again, with your flats of Kokanee, and large selections of Yellow Tail and French Rabbit products, and the large jugs just labeled "Red".
I should not complain. It has gotten a lot better in there in the past 3 years. They have some good, well-priced (for Whitehorse) wines, particularly from Chile, and also a few from California and some non-Yellow Tail from Australia. They have gotten some interesting beer in too. I really would like to see a BC/Ontario VQA selection up here. Most domestic wineries do not produce the quantity required to sell to provincial liquor corps (and I've heard LCBO is not such a friendly buyer with some onerous conditions if you are a smaller operation - don't know if that was or remains true). The VQA stores in BC let wineries sell their product in these stores, without having to provide quantity to be available to all BC Liquor stores in the province. I think that may have changed a bit, because I bought some BC wines in a store on Salt Spring recently that also sold imports and beer and hard liquor. If so - great, we should get that up here, or at least offer some good Canadian wines in the Yukon. We had a nice run of Mission Hill wines a few years ago, but they went away and haven't come back. I did so like the Reserve Shiraz. $22, nice price, nice wine, worth every penny. When will the YLC realize that they should hire me as their buyer? Probably never, so I will sit and wait for my good wines to arrive. Four more months...

1 Comments:

At Mon Dec 01, 11:50:00 a.m. PST, Blogger Anna said...

I too will wait for your new wines to arrive, so I can whine at your knees, like a tragic puppy, begging for a bottle or two...
But that's not really what I am commenting on. I am writing to let you know that I have made a Discovery. Basically, I have discovered a formula for figuring out how much wine is too much wine. Half a bottle of pretty nice Italian wine before going to an early evening happy hour party down the street is OK. a couple of glasses of some lovely Chilean you brought to said party is all right too. When you and your friend who have to play pond hockey all day the next day then proceed to drink the rest of the Chilean, and all of the really good Californian bottle you brought for the host (2 thumbs up for some Californian that started with a B...memory gets a bit foggy here - maybe Bodega?) and then you chase that with a few swigs of (gasp) the 1500 litre size of Yellowtail, and then launch into something else, on top of which you eat Chinese takeout and wake up at 3 in the morning and have to puke, you know you're had too much. Personally, I think it was the Yellowtail. Before that, I probably would have rallied and used a bit of common sense and done some blurry math and told myself to stop...
Anyway, the interesting sub-discovery that this evening of foolishness led to is that while it takes about 3 excedrine and two bottles of beer, plus bacon a hotdog and a ton of gatorade to get rid of the resultant hangover, there was no squeamishness toward either chinese food or red wine, within 24 hours of this carnage. I am personally fascinated by this, and the fact that the Chat-eu-oeuf that I so viciously slagged in a previous comment was actually really delicious three days after I opened the bottle (I just put the screw cap back on, seeing as how I was expecting only to use it for cooking). Maybe it just really really needed to breathe. Anyway, that's all. I'm stupid, but apparently I only had to do penance for a day, and not for the rest of my 30's being unable to drink wine or eat chinese, as I feared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home