Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Another Cheap and Friendly Australian Red

I've mentioned before that the Wolf Blass Cabernet Shiraz (red label) is a delightful anytime wine. However, if you are too cheap to cough up $16.50 or so, you can save $2 and buy the Long Flat Cabernet Shiraz instead. It is a little cheaper, perhaps slightly lower quality, but is super tasty and under $15. Nice and juicy, but the cabernet gives it some oomph and balances out the fruitiness with tannins. I find a really like the cab/shiraz blends. I've never been a huge fan of strictly Cabernet Sauvignon. It always seems a little severe. And Shiraz is often made to be overbearingly fruity. Mix the two and voila: a happy medium. The Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet (scroll down a few posts) is also good and about the same price as the Long Flat bottle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home