A Crowd Pleaser
I haven't had any Wolf Blass in a while, so much other stuff to try, why bother? But sometimes when I am wandering the liquor store isles filling my basket with unknowns, I feel the need for something that I know will be tasty. Not usually, but sometimes, and what better wine to fill that role than the Wolf Blass Red Label Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon. I think it really is a basic wine for everyone. It has enough body and oomph to it to please the Cab fans, while having the juicyness of Shiraz, but is not too fruity. I like it. I could drink lots of it, and at $16.45 it is a nice price for what you get. Don't expect to be blown away, or intrigued, but it is a tasty wine if not very interesting. Kinda like the lasagna at a potluck; everyone likes it, it is safe and pleasant and you may have seconds if nothing else is very good, but it is not something you look back on and sigh.
Earlier in the week I opened the Castano Hecula that was part of the Rotary wine festival offerings so I doubt it will be available after the current stock runs out. $17.30. Not bad. Tastes (and is) Spanish so not too much fruit and a little rough (although two days of sitting on my counter after opening it seems to have smoothed it out). Not may favourite, but not bad. I won't be rushing out to buy more. I also have a bottle of the cheaper Castano Monastrell. Haven't tried it yet. I think I just like the names.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home