Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

I'm an Auntie!!!

Congratulations to my sister and her husband, and welcome to my new niece Rowan Beverley Chow. 8lbs 14oz. Sunday, November 20th, 1:24am.

We had a toast to my new family addition at Helen's 60th birthday this evening. I brough along the Tagglio Rosso (red bubbly) that Sarah sent a couple of years ago. It comes from Vignetti Zanatta (sure I spelled that wrong) in Duncan BC. It was really good. Much better than the sparkling Shirazes I have had from Australia. Can't get it here, but if you are on the island, it is a nifty treat.

As for wines that are available locally, I have not been writing up any lately. I brought back a bunch of stuff from Ontario that you can't get here (Strewn reds are really good, as are Creekside and Ridgepoint Yummy yummy yummy). Also, the Cave Springs Riesling and Stony Ridge Reserve Chardonnay are fab. I have been drinking them rather than local stuff, but I did stop at the liquor store a few days ago. Not much new stuff, a couple from Spain that I will try.

Tonight we had the ever-tasty but jacked up in price Vinho Verde from Portugal. There is only one in the store here, but I forget the name and am too lazy to look it up. It is a tasty white wine. Slightly pettilant (bubbly), but here's the thing: It used to be about $9. Excellent, nice and cheap. A couple of years ago, it suddenly jumps to $14. !!! Vinho Verde should be a cheap, light white. Definitely under $10. So although it is still just as tasty, I will not pay $14 for it. If someone else buys it, I will happily drink it, but the price still bugs me.

I went to the Rotary wine festival. Had a great time. Lost my sheets of paper with all my tasting notes, and for some reason my recollection of the evening's details is not so good. So I can't recommend anything, except perhaps the Essencia Orange Muscat and Black Muscat that I saw in the liquor store this week. Dessert wines, super sweet. I like them. For about $15 they are pretty good. That price might be a lie. Mayber $20, and then they are not such a good deal. Also, for a limited time (I doubt they will pick it up) you can get the Beyerskloof Pinotage that is left over from the wine festival. This is the wine that got me interested in wine. It is stinky, leathery, cheesy, cigarry all things dark and nasty. Not for everyone, but if you like it, you will love it. I still can't decide if I really do like Pinotage. It has got to be one of the most interesting grapes, and certainly the smelliest. Kind of like Viognier, I can't decide if I like it, but I keep trying it as it holds my fascination.

Chile. Casillera de Diablo (or something like that) Cabernet Sauvignon. I think this is pretty cheap and it is very likeable. The strength of Cabernet, but some nice fruit and not too much tannin. If it is about $15 like I think it is, then go ahead and get some. Worth it.

I tried some horrid Chinese liquor tonight that Merelyn brought back from here recent trip. Apparently it was fairly pricey. Unfortunately it was remanicient of a filthy old barn being stewed in rice alcohol. Blech. I had to wash out my mouth with Lindt chocolates (life is rough).

The Oyster Bay Chardonnay continues to amuse (although for cheaper - if you are in Ontario - the Stoney Ridge Reserve is nicer). Oh how I wish I lived in wine country, but then I would be living THERE again. And I hated THERE. Polluted, nasty southern Ontario. Yech. I hear New Zealand is nice...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home