Sauv Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Sauv Blanc, Shiraz
Small dinner at the neighbour's last night. Yummy as always. Helen brought the wine she likes, but was disappointed to discover that it wasn't really the right one. Instead of the Oyster Bay Chardonnay, she brough the Oyster Bay Sauv Blanc. It is a nice New Zealand Sauv Blanc with high acidity and very green flavours. Not at all like the Chardonnay, which is much more friendly and I have mentioned in earlier postings. Read the labels, don't just look at the pictures.
Then we opened the Pinot Grigio I bought a while ago along with some of the other Pinot Grigios I have been slowly making my way through. This was the last one of my current selection, and as the fall is here, I will probably go off the light whites until next summer. Villa Teresa Organic Pinot Grigio ($17.15 in the Italian isle) is nice enough, light, sort of fruity, no nasty off flavours, but it isn't the best. That one I reveiwed a while ago was better (can't remember which, just scroll down the page).
Then we had the Sawmill Creek Sauvignon Blanc. Uber cheap ($8.30 Canadian section) and it was really quite nice. Much less aggressive than the Oyster Bay, it has some nice tree fruit aromas and a hint of sweetness. It didn't blow me away, but it was perfectly nice and for that price you can't go wrong.
There was one red at the table and it disappeared a little fast. The St. Hallet 'Faith' Shiraz was very nice, not too fruity as some Aussie Shiraz is, but fairly rich with nice fruit and some chocolate and tobacco flavours also. I just checked the price list and see that it costs $27.35. Hmmmmm.....It was good, better than many of the cheaper ones, but was it twenty-seven dollars good? I'm not sure, but I did like it. If someone else brings it to dinner, be sure to get a good sized glass (and if you are looking for something nice to bring to my house, this one gets a thumbs up). There is also a $37 Shiraz from the same producer that I would like to try but not pay for. If you missed my birthday, I will accept this as a belated gift.
And don't forget the Rotary Wine Festival is coming up later this month. A good time is had by all, but I think I will get there early as it gets realy crowded.

1 Comments:
Hey I buy that Sawmill Creek Sauv Blanc for cooking all the time. It makes the best lentil stew EVER. And it's good for a swig over the stove too!
Post a Comment
<< Home