Expanded Mandate
I've been having trouble for the past year and a half or so with keeping the blog going. Two reasons: 1) I stare at a computer most of the day at work, and don't often feel like logging on in the evenings or weekends; and, 2) Wines in the Whitehorse liquor store are limited and often boring. They have been making some effort to get in newer and better stuff, but I don't often get excited about what I find there. I have a pretty good stash of wine from BC and some stuff remaining from Ontario, and thus probably half of what I drink is not easily available here (you can order some direct from wineries, or from a specialty store). Most of what I drink from the Whitehorse liquor store gets repetitive. So I have decided to broaden my scope and write about whatever I drink, regardless of whether or not it is available here. Really, no one reads this except my sister and she lives in BC so she could probably get most of the stuff I drink from there (indeed, she buys and transports a lot of it).
I know someone who travels to BC quite a bit, and often will bring me back some wine. There is a store in Vernon that he goes to. I give him a list with a broad idea of what I want (colour, body, price range, sometimes a varietal suggestion) and he goes to the store and talks to the owner/manager and she gives him good stuff. I got a bunch from him last month and am thus far impressed with the 3 or 4 bottles I have tried. Laughing Stock Vineyards "Portfolio" is a Bordeaux blend (if I recall correctly), but is decidedly new world in style. It was very nice, rich lovely flavours and cost about $35. Definitely worth it. If I lived in BC I would probably own more of it (although the have so much selection, why drink anything twice?). I had a Pinot Noir (I believe I usually specify no Pinot Noir, but perhaps I forgot this time and it fell under the category of "medium red under $30" that I requested). I forget who produced it and it was pretty good for a $25 Pinot Noir from Canada, but that is kind of like saying "pretty good for a kindergarten choir concert". It really isn't that good at all. Such a thin, acidic grape. I have only ever had one truly nice Pinot Noir, and that cost way too much for the level of niceness. I'm not saying nice, well-priced Pinot Noir don't exist, I'm just saying that it is widely regarded as a difficult grape to produce good wine from, more people should stop trying. I have a Pinot Noir from Summerhill in the basement, I ought to give it a go sometime.
The really amazing deal came from Bounty Cellars. Their "Rapture" red, was really tasty, and then I checked the receipt and discovered it only cost a little over $16. For that price it was fabulous! Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) Armageddon did not happen so drink up and don't worry about the wrath of God.
I opened the Cedar Creek (Reserve? Select?) Pinot Gris which was decidedly oaky. Not over oaked, just unexpected. It was not bad, but not great and I suspect it cost too much and you could get a better Chardonnay for the same price. I don't think my Pinot Gris needs to be oaked; I would rather it fresh and lively.
Finally, I bought a pricey white Burgundy (Mersault) in the Whitehorse Liquor Store about two months ago, and yesterday had a reason to open it. I joined "Lobster Club" at work (no joke - we have a lobster club) which amounts to joining together to order fresh cooked/cold-packed lobsters from Nova Scotia, that are air freighted up here. Pretty good price, and very tasty. Unfortunately, I opened the $54 bottle of wine to discover a nasty cork, and a nasty smell. Mum described it as "foist". I have never heard that word used in that fashion, but it seems appropriate. Today she is taking the foisty wine back to the liquor store to get a new bottle. I was going to go this morning, but didn't have time and I don't feel like being at the store on a busy Saturday afternoon. Social phobia of some sort I suppose. I hope to get it replaced by the same bottle, but if it is all gone, I have requested the Masi Amarone that I have been eyeing for a couple of years, but it is prohibitively expensive. Less that the $54 I paid for the Mersault, so it would be covered.
In place of the Mersault, I opened the Adora "Decorus" that I got in the Okanagan almost two years ago now. It was nice, fruity, fresh with good intensity of flavour; a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Reisling and Pinot Gris. It reminded me a bit of the Conundrum White from California. It was very flavourful and pleasant, but seems a little influenced by the "more is better" philosophy. I think it also cost about $35. I don't begrudge that, but wouldn't jump at another bottle. For about $25 it would be a very good buy. --- I'm a big liar, I checked the Adora Estate website and the Decorus is listed as only $20. Super good deal, buy some. Also, the Maximus (red), which I recall enjoying last year, is only $30 which is also a pretty good deal. Needs time to breath if I remember rightly.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home