Yummy, yummy, yummy, I have Malbec in my tummy
$13.70!!! Now this is a good deal! Pascual Toso Malbec 2003 from Argentina. This is a cheaper version of wine that I really, really like to drink. For this price it is fantastic. Well 'fantastic' might be a little too glowing, so I'll settle on 'great'. Lovely and not overpowering fruit flavours (although it was a bit of a cherry bomb when I first popped the cork, it has opened up nicely) cherry, blackberry, mellow spice, smoke, tobacco..yummy, yummy, yummy. The wine is also a lovely dark, dark red which I find pleasing to look at. It's tannins are present, and noticeable, but they lurk in the background and don't bite.
Malbec is a Bordeaux variety, that is not much in use over in France these days, although can often still be found as a minor player in red bordeaux. However, it has taken quite a hold in Argentina, and is one of their most popular wine exports. They seem to do a good job as I have had quite a few tasty and inexpensive Malbecs from Argentina. This is one of the better ones and actually reminds me of the Summerhill (flakes with a pyramid) Platinum Series Cabernet Franc which a) you can't get here, and b) costs about $30. Similar flavours, and while this is not quite as delectable as the Summerhill Cab Franc, for under $14 and available any time I want, this is great. Next time I am house-sitting a hot tub, I will invite this wine to join me.

<< Home