Chardonnay, Viognier and the 2nd Zinfandel available in town
I just got back from a small dinner party. At the table were the Oyster Bay Chardonnay (New Zealand - $19.75) and the Yalumba Viognier (Australia - $18.85). The Oyster Bay Chardonnay is definately one of the better Chardonnays available in Whitehorse, not too oaky, nice fruit, pleasant to drink, no cheap white taste. It certainly isn't the best Chardonnay on the planet, but of the ones I have tasted locally, it is probably my favourite so far. The Viognier was okay. I still haven't decided if I like Viognier, but I keep drinking it when available because it is interesting. It is high in alcohol, lower in acidity, quite perfumed, and I think tends to have a peachy taste (some more that others). This one is not bad for the price. I have had $40-$50 Viogniers that were much more impressive, but not here, and who wants to pay that much for a wine that I don't actually know that I like. Give it a try, but be aware that you can do a lot better somewhere else. I guess that is a general caveat for the Yukon Liquor Corp. offerings, and applies to all my recommendations here.
Earlier this week I opened the Kenwood Yalupa Zinfandel. It is a perfectly drinkable, uninteresting red as many cheaper Zins tend to be. Cherry and spice, juicy and smooth, I could maybe imagine some other flavours like tobacco, but that would be generous. However, at $19.65, I think I would go for the Zinfandel I reviewed in June (Mondavi Woodbridge I think). It was cheaper and just as good, relatively speaking.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home