Another Pleasant Italian White
I am currently sipping the Ruffino Orvieto from Italy, $14.80. Quite nice, off dry (a bit of sweetness) with some nice light peachy flavours, grapefruit and dark honey. It does have a touch of that cheap white taste, but it is still light and refreshing. Serve it nice and cold and it will be lovely.
I think I have mentioned 'cheap white taste' before. I don't know if I can explain what I mean by that. It is just a bit of an off flavour that one might associate with cheap perfume, and it detracts from the crispness and purity of flavour of the wine. It is accentuated by warmer temperatures and seems to be more off-putting in sweeter whites. Not all cheaply priced whites seem to have this character, but many of them do and I can't think of any moderate to pricey whites I have tasted that have exhibited this character. It seems particularly troublesome for the heavier and more perfumed whites such as Chardonnay and Viognier. I have had many an awful Chardonnay from the Whitehorse liquor store precisely due to cheap white taste. The best I have found so far if I recall correctly is the Rosemount Diamond Chardonnay, but that was only passable. Not that I have tried too hard; after some miserable bottles I have avoided Chardonnay here. I have got a nice South African one that I get people to bring me from Ontario, but I only get a couple of bottles now and then. Oh how I miss you LCBO Vintages!
I think I will go refill my glass.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home