Wines O' Whitehorse

Reviews of wines that can be purchased in the Whitehorse Liquor Store and anything else I care to comment on.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Two Aussie and one French wine

We had another big dinner last night, and three different wines to go with it. We had goose and various vegetables, a Pinot Noir, a Bordeaux, and an Australian Bordeaux blend.

The Pinot Noir was the Wolf Blass Pinot Noir which is $19.65 at the Whitehorse liquour store. I'm still waiting for a Pinot Noir to really impress me. This didn't, but John seemed to think it was nice, so if you like Pinot Noir, perhaps this would please you.

After the fruity Pinot Noir, we had the Rothschild Medoc from France. This is a bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. French wines tend to be lean on fruit, and this was no exception. I usually drink new world wines so am used to some degree of fruitiness, and the French style is not my favourite, but it really did grow on me after a few minutes, and it is always nice to have something a little different to the usual. It had a slight mushroomy flavour, but that was just different, not bad. So it was quite likeable; however, at $23.80 I would have to be wanting a decent French wine to buy it again. But it is a good example of Bordeaux.

The last wine we had was a Bordeaux style blend (same grapes as the above wine) from Australia, the Mad Fish Cab/Merlot. It was deeper, riper, and more fruity than the French wine and had a hefty dose of oak. Over all it was very pleasant and inoffensive, but really not very interesting. At $19.65, it is a good price for the quality. I really can't decide which I preferred more, the French or the Australian one. Interesting that the same grapes can produce such very different wines, and they both had their pros and cons. Try them both, see what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home