California Cabernet Sauvignon
I opened the 337 Lodi something or other Cabernet Sauvignon last night to have with beef stew. Super yummy. It has good weight to it, but being from California it is very ripe with nice dark fruit and a pleasantly heavy dollop of oak. I really liked it and will be buying more. This would be appealing to a large number of people, a cabernet to please all, without the austerity and lean muscularity of some cooler climate Cab Sauv. I think it was a little over $20.
I also opened a GSM (Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre(Mataro)) from Australia that I picked up in Victoria last year. It tasted like raspberries and rubber tires, bit of chocolate too. Not unpleasant, quite nice really, although we should have had it before the Cab Sauv as it was a bit lighter and had more interesting flavours to explore than the 337. I think I paid quite a bit for it ($35-50?) so I don't think I liked it for the price. I've had two or three GSMs now and I don't know that I have fully enjoyed them. The blend is popular, but there seems to be something off balance with them. I guess I'll have to keep trying.
Addendum - I had the last glass of the GSM the next day, without food, and without having the Cabernet first. It was lovely and elegant and I'm sorry I wasted the rest of the bottle the day before. When I munched some of the leftover stew with it, the wine was less pleasant. Maybe it would be good with duck or even turkey, or something lighter at least with a less heavy sauce. Or just by itself which is the way I like to drink nicer wines.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home